Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Lizards & COVID-19


Since my 'nature walks' are temporarily confined to my apartment complex because of the changes COVID 19 has brought to us, I am choosing to find adventure in my somewhat limited environment.

Today, I was amused to realize just how much I have been enjoying the little lizards that run around everywhere down here in Florida. I couldn't help but notice how my relationship with them has evolved during our 'quarantine' where dozens of them skip and skitter across my footpath on my daily walk-abouts.


As I was walking this morning I passed one who had lost most of its tail....and I spoke to it words of sympathy. Then, quickly realized that sympathy wasn't needed (or desired) but instead, offered compliments on how beautiful and agile it still was, tail or no tail.


Next I saw the biggest one I've seen to date perched atop the largest rock in that section of landscaping just as pretty as you please and so I said to it, "Well, I see you've made King of the Mountain.....but what makes you so sure you belong up there?" Which, I immediately realized was not needed (or desired) so I added, "but look at how beautiful your markings are and your confidence to stand alone for all to see is inspiring!"

As I rounded a corner a few minutes later I witnessed a large lizard chasing one that was half its size and I couldn't help my first response which was to scold the big bully. "Hey! STOP that and mind your own business" but then my attention turned to the little guy who so gracefully made its hasty exit and changed my thoughts and comments to, "Oh boy look at you go! Isn't it marvelous that you have your big friend there to help push you to be the best you can be!?" because, well, my first-impression comments steeped in bully/victimhood mentality were not needed (or desired).



I strolled for a moment allowing 'The Watcher' within me (my own higher self...or Soul if you will) to find entertainment in observing my human self adapt to its current situation and surroundings when I suddenly found myself in front of a lizard on the path that had been decapitated. I thought, what can I really say to this one? So I said the first thing that came to mind, "What's the matter? Cat got your head?" Haa haa haaa haaaaaa ....Sorry, I still bust out laughing at this one every time I say it. After all, the Soul knows no limitation in finding ways to navigate life and all the various changes we tend to see as 'challenges' and the number of creative ways for us to leave the planet is only limited by how far we can stretch our imaginations.

When people learn of my 'losses' they are often astounded to see that I am healthy and happy. They tend to look for a 'crack in my armour' as if I am hiding my true 'broken' self behind an illusion of well-being. When they get to know me a bit more they are apt to ask "How do you do it? How can you possibly live through all that trauma and loss yet still remain standing and functioning? How can you lose so much but still find joy and adventure in your life?"

My response is always the same... "You'd be surprised by just how much the human Spirit can bear when it's given no choice"


How are YOU choosing to navigate the current situation you find yourself in? Become "The Watcher" and find out!
As always, I welcome your thoughtful comments.
Vicky


Blessings on your journey to Self-Discovery after loss,

More From Vicky:







No comments:

Post a Comment