Monday, September 5, 2016

Victim or Survivor....your choice?



     So many people have asked me the same question over the years, "How do you do it? How do you survive such things and yet remain sane and happy?"  I have to say that honestly, it comes down to "choice".  I can remember thinking very soon after hearing the news that my son had taken his own life back in 2002, "I will survive this...I will not let this destroy me."  I think that was a pivotal moment in my journey....one where I consciously chose to be a survivor rather than a victim. That's not to say that simply deciding to survive will prevent you from having to walk through the pain and grief involved, but I feel that it does set the stage for the type of experience you will have.

     We all know people who seem to look at life from the "glass is half empty" view point, and we can clearly see how that creates needless struggle in their lives. But how many of us really take inventory of our own prevailing thoughts and beliefs about our own life and experiences? More and more people are beginning to really understand that we, as individuals, can control and shape our own experiences simply by starting with conscious thought and intention. I'm sure most of you have run across the following legend somewhere in your travels but it is so beautifully and simply stated, that it bears repeating. I am talking about the old Cherokee Legend about Two Wolves that goes like this:




An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.
“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.” He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

    It really does come down to conscious thought and intention. If you look inside yourself and you notice that your thoughts seem to reside in the world of the Dark Wolf, then simply make a conscious decision to change.  Simply DECIDING to change creates the shift you need to get started. Then it is just a learning process like any other.  The more you practice, the better you will become.  If it seems too daunting for you then just start small.  Pick one area of your life where you feel encumbered by your thoughts or belief system and work on that first.  Simply "notice" the next time you are thinking less than pleasant thoughts about yourself or the situation you find yourself in and reach for a better thought.  The more you do this, the easier it becomes and before you know it, the "old thoughts" are replaced by your new, more empowering thoughts. It is the new, empowering thoughts that will create change in your experience. Don't put time pressures on yourself or any other judgment....this is a personal process that is different for every one.  Just keep at it and don't give up!  

     My grand daughter came to me yesterday to show me a portrait of a friend she had just finished drawing.  It was done really well and showed a skill level I had not seen in her work before.  When I asked her about this she said,  "Well I realized that every time I started a new art project, my self-talk running in the background of my mind contained phrases like, 'I can't draw very well'......or  'I'll never be a good artist'.   Once I noticed this I started replacing my negative thoughts with positive ones like, 'I am really good at this' and 'the more I practice, the better I get' and I suddenly started drawing better!"

     This is one simple victory for her, but what is more important here is her decision to become more engaged in her own life....to actually stand up and take responsibility for her own experience.  By doing this, she has chosen to be a survivor.  She has chosen to believe that she can change her experience by changing her thought patterns.  Take a moment to look at the picture at the top of this blog again....the one of the staircase.  Really gaze at it for a moment and let the photo draw you in.  Now check in with yourself.  What sort of feelings and/or thoughts does this photo provoke in you?  Did you feel like you were standing at the top of the stairs looking down as if you were about to tumble into the abyss?  Or did it make you feel like you had just succeeded in climbing up and out of the darkness below? 

Victim or Survivor?  Which one will YOU choose?

Blessings,
Vicky


Please check out my website at www.whiteelephantwisdom.com


3 comments:

  1. Vicky this is awesome! Very well done and just what I needed to read to help me where I am at right now in my life. Thank you so much and I look forward to reading more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree. It would be so easy to be a victim and live a life of sadness. But does that change anything? Chose to live, chose to cherish your memories and always push forward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this Vicki, looking forward to reading your blog regularly, Caryl

    ReplyDelete