Saturday, March 23, 2019

Things Could Always Be Worse!

   
     I've heard all the hype over Mercury Retrograde for years now but I never seem to be affected in any adverse way by it so I was not at all concerned about this one even though people I know are all saying it's a particularly challenging time for them. I didn't let it bother me and simply went about my business as usual, not worried at all about any mishaps that might result.

      I went out shopping for a new bathing suit, not an easy task in northern New England in March as most shops do not have any on the sales floor yet.  I had been looking for a couple of weeks now at various local stores to no avail.  The struggle is real I tell you!

     I finally found a store that had an entire section of this years suits all on display with an incredible array of styles and sizes.  I had hit the motherload!  I picked out 8 suits, the maximum number allowed in the dressing room at one time, and closed myself in the little booth that I was led to by the cheery sales clerk.  You know, the ones with the really horrible (realistic?) mirrors?

     I lined up my colorful selection of swimsuits and began to disrobe.  I placed my purse on the bench-seat provided and gently laid my eye glasses on top of it.  Have you ever experienced an intuitive 'warning' about something?  Well I got one of those when I placed my brand new, $400 pair of prescription eye glasses on top of that purse. I KNEW it was a bad idea but I ignored that little voice and simply set an intention to be super careful not to let anything happen to them.

     After trying on 7 of the 8 suits I was striking out and starting to get discouraged.   But, as luck would have it, the very last one I tried on was a keeper!  I felt like Cinderella when she was able to slip her foot into the perfectly fitting glass slipper at the last minute before the Prince gave up on his quest to find his love. (Humor me...as I said, the struggle is real!)

     I was so excited over my success that I began to hurry and get dressed lest this suit turn back into a pumpkin before I could purchase it and get it out of the store.  My elated joy was quickly replaced with horrible dread at the sound of a loud POP when I sat on the bench to put my shoes on.



     Oh yes, you guessed it...I sat on my glasses and broke them!  I couldn't believe it.  I couldn't believe that I had an intuitive prompt NOT to place my glasses there but did it anyway.  I told myself I'd be careful yet 6 minutes later I absentmindedly sat right on them!  Oh how frustrated and upset I was with myself.

     I gingerly uncovered them to survey the extent of the damage.  The frames were severely bent and one of the lenses had popped out, snapping the underwire that was holding them in place.

     Luckily for me, I can always find comfort by adopting a "things could always be worse" attitude when faced with adversity.  I immediately felt grateful that neither of the lenses were shattered as those are the most expensive parts to replace. It was unfortunate, but at least I'd only have to replace the frames.

     So off to the Walmart Vision Center I went, where I had purchased this pair a mere 2 weeks prior. By the time I arrived I had counted even more blessings such as having a pair of prescription sunglasses in the car so I could safely drive, having the means to pay for new ones and feeling blessed that the vision center was still open at 5:30 on a Saturday.

     I sheepishly placed my crushed specs on the counter and accepted the light hearted razzing from the technician after relaying the story of my folly to her.  I was relieved when she handed them off to another woman who took them to the back room, tossing an, "I'll have these fixed up in no time" over her shoulder as she went. Again, super grateful as I expected they would have to be shipped off someplace for repair.

     Now I NEVER say yes those insurance policies that sales clerks always offer you when you make a purchase but again, that little voice in my head said, "Ask if you got the insurance".  So I asked....and she looked it up...and low and behold I DID!  Crazy right?  What made me buy the insurance?  Did I somehow know this would happen?

     Needless to say, I was beyond grateful to realize I'd have my glasses back in less than ten minutes time with no sign of any injury and a ZERO bill to pay!

                       Take THAT Mercury Retrograde!  

                                                                                     


As always, I welcome your thoughtful comments!
Love and Blessings to All,
Vicky

Contact Info:

Vicky Edgerly
White Elephant Wisdom LLC
info@whiteelephantwisdom.com
www.WhiteElephantWisdom.com

Follow Vicky on Facebook!

Check us out on YouTube!

Click HERE for more inspirational and informative blog posts

   


No comments:

Post a Comment