Thursday, February 28, 2019

The Peach



The Peach
by Vicky Edgerly

     I'm perched on the eve of a new month.  This particular month feels HUGE to me.  The anticipation is palpable.  I can sense it, feel it and even TASTE it.

     It tastes like the sweet juice of a perfectly ripened peach, still warmed by the late summer sun.

     But, like the peach, first I must bite into the bristly, somewhat bitter skin if I am to taste that golden nectar that lies beyond its walls. I must TRUST that once I break through, there will be pure liquid joy on the other side.

     The trust is not an easy thing.. How many times have I settled into a comfortable spot with my treasured fruit poised and ready to savor only to find it mealy and dry inside, void of any flavor at all? But still, I pick up another peach and begin the ripening process all over again.

     That is what March 1st feels like to me this year (2019). I've bitten into a lot of tasteless peaches over the last few years but the one awaiting my attention now is sure to be perfect in every way.

     I can smell its promise of perfection.  And smelling it provides me with a taste of the memory of what I know lies just on the other side of that protective, outer shell.  I can feel its perfection in the way the flesh gives under the ever so slight pressure of my thumb.

     It is ready to be savored.  It is there for the taking. It has been waiting for me, and now our time has come to share this dance of give and take.

     The peach, like my life, exists solely to please me...to be savored and cherished by me.  When I give myself over to the experience...when I face the unpleasant skin of it upon entry....when I am brave enough to welcome those uncomfortable parts in order to reap the rewards of what lies beyond, then THAT is where the victory is for both of us.

     It knows I am grateful for that moment beyond anything else in my existence.  It knows....and that is what it has lived for.  That one instant of offering me this bittersweet moment in time.  This triumph over fear of the unknown.

     We both rejoice in our sense of accomplishment.  The peach in its ability to attract my focus...that I might shower it with every ounce of love and appreciation I can produce and me, for not discarding the bitter parts but for taking them all into my very being.  Bite after bite I allow the not-so-sweet parts to enter.  I love them too because of the rush of liquid gold they have been protecting.

  Together, we dance between sour faced puckers and sweet relief.  Back and forth we go, until we have become ONE.  This precious fruit has entered my body where it will continue to feel the gratitude of every cell that makes me human.  It just keeps on giving...now in the form of nourishment and my tissues, cells and organs sing in response to the treasured gifts it brings.

     And what is left when this experience is over?  I hold the best gift of all in the palm of my hand...the seed to begin this incredible cycle all over again.

As always, I welcome your thoughtful comments!
Love and Blessings to All,
Vicky

Contact Info:

Vicky Edgerly
White Elephant Wisdom LLC
info@whiteelephantwisdom.com
www.WhiteElephantWisdom.com

Follow Vicky on Facebook!

Check us out on YouTube!

Click HERE for more inspirational and informative blog posts

4 comments:

  1. This analogy about life was written in honor of my beautiful golden-eyed boy, Hunta, a 12 year old chocolate lab who I snuggled close to my body today, March 1st while the vet released him from his ailing body. Run free Hunta...💞

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is amazing. I never knew a peach could so well describe life. You have to push through the bad to get to the good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird....I never saw this comment before today. I love that you got the message of the peach story!

      Delete